Do you want to give back to the community but are pressed for time; or are you a business looking for a way to give back? We have several at home projects that individuals or businesses can do that are easy to complete and will benefit many people in our community.
Blankets of Love/Blanket Buddies – make a fleece blanket and drop it by the volunteer center so we can distribute it to a local non-profit
- Purchase 1.5 yards of quality polar fleece that is 60 inches wide, sharp scissors/rotary cutter, measuring tape/ruler, masking tape and a pen/marker.
- Mark a line 5 inches in from raw edges on all sides.
- Trim away a 5 inch square at each corner.
- Cut 1 inche wide fringe along all edges
- Tie 2 strips together using a double knot. Continue tying 2 strips together along all sides to make the fringe until all of the strips are tied together and you have a completed blanket.
Scarves for the Coats for Kids Program – make a polar fleece scarf that can be distributed along with a coat for local children in need
- Purchase 1 or more yards of polar fleece and sharp scissors.
- Spread out the fabric and cut off any salvage edges.
- Cut a straight and even strip 8 to 10 inches wide. (The scarf should be about 58-60 inches long.)
- Cut the fringe on each end about 1/2 inch wide and 3 inches long.
- Tie two pieces of fringe together in a couple knot and continue until every piece of fringe is tied together and your scarf is completed.
- Purchase party items – birthday gift bag, 1 gallon ziplock bag, cake mix, icing, napkins, plates, forks, invitations, candles, goodie bags with candy/party favors. (Make sure each gift bag hold enough items for a minimum of 8 children.)
- Place all of the items into the large gift bag with the napkins, plates, utensils and candles in the ziplock bag.
- Mark the outside of the bag with a label indicating what age and gender the gift bag is geared for.
- Purchase card stock or scrapbook paper, scissors and any items you want to use to decorate the bookmark (i.e. stickers, stamps) and find a place where you can laminate the bookmarks.
- Cut the paper into very neatly 2 inch wide strips.
- Decorate the Strips.
- Laminate the bookmarks.
- Optional – punch a hole at the top of each strip and attach a yarn tassel.
- Purchase card stock, envelopes and decorative supplies.
- Fold each piece of paper to make a card and decorate the outside. If you want to write something on the cards please type it.
- Leave the inside of the cards blank.
- Place the cards and envelopes in a ziplock bag and indicate what the cards are intended for (i.e. thank you, happy birthday) so we can distribute them appropriately.
Hygiene Kits – Create a hygiene kit to be distributed to local schools, shelters and crisis centers or to our local soldiers at home or overseas.
- Purchase 1 gallon ziplock bags, a bar of soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, pocket tissue/wipes and small brush/comb. You can also buy perishable foot items or other appropriate items (i.e. Chapstick, body wash).
- Pack each ziplock bag with the above items and seal it.
- Fell free to include a note or card.
For more detailed instructions or to donate completed projects please contact The Volunteer Center at 512-733-7625. We truly thank you for your service!